Hi! I'm Tanner.

I'm a software engineer at Apple. I write here occassionally.

Learn more about me.


Take a look at some posts from yesterday or last year.

Other Things

Check out books I've read recently.

Salman Rushdie Exhibit

On Thursday during English class I decided that the best time for me to go to the Rushdie exhibit would be that day. I only decided that because it had seemed like as though it would be too complicated to figure out how to car pool and taking MARTA would be chaos in it of it self. So I just took the Tech-Emory Shuttle on that Thursday as my last class ended at 1:00 PM and the next shuttle was at 1:15 to Emory. So, why not?

After a smooth 30 minute trip to Emory I found myself taking a labyrinth of sidewalks and little alleyways to get from where the bus had stopped, somewhere around an Emory research building, to the library. The slight scenic route was quite interesting it self. I had never been to Emory therefore had no idea what to expect. I have two friends who attend Emory thus it is not completely foreign to me.

I will still shocked at how it looked very little like a college campus and more like an garnished city or town. Every time I would pass by a “residence hall” I would have to do a double take as they severely made the residence halls at Georgia Tech look like shacks from the 1950’s (which is mostly true).

None the less, I eventually found the library, went through security, and mostly stared at awe of how the library contrasted Georgia Tech’s. The library was filled with a plethora of Mac computers, not unlike Georgia Tech’s, but the architecture of the library was quite different. The Emory library contained a vast lit area and a exquisite spiral staircase which I had to climb to reach the second floor where the Rushdie exhibit lived.

When I reached the second floor I was a bit disoriented about the exhibit itself. I had brought a map made by my professor, but it took me a few seconds to figure out how I had to orient the map and eventually myself. Looking through the exhibit was quite interesting. I enjoyed the computer section where the exhibit described how the people at Emory had to figure out how to archive yet make available Rushdie’s computer. It was very neat how they created a “virtual machine” of sorts that duplicated when his computer looked like at certain times of his life. It was fascinating to see how involved Rushdie was in pretty much anything. Rushdie was not a writer - he was an lover of all things - music, politics, film, theatre, U2, etc.. The list goes on. The impression I got from the exhibit is that not only was a writer, he was a researcher, he was an artist, he was a thinker, and a journalist. He did all those things, most relating just to his books. He was involved in the process from when he wrote journals about a specific idea he had to the cover art of his books to when he received death threats concerning one of this books. He did it all. Overall, I ended the exhibit have a new respect for those who write books that I don’t usually associate with mainly because they are very hard to read and understand the main overall point behind them.

As I left the exhibit, I took a more direct route back to the bus stop from the library. I was unsure of where the Tech-Emory Shuttle stopped as there was no signage indicating that such a shuttle stopped here. All I saw where the confusing plethora of Emory bus signs with letters such as “C” and “A”. I eventually asked a bus driver if this is where the bus stopped and he said I was in the right place, but he was unsure of the timing of the bus. Using my handy dandy iPhone to look up the schedule I discovered I had timed my departure wrong. I had just missed the bus which had left. That left me to wait an entire hour before the bus came back again. Have no fear though as I had picked up a copy of the Emory newspaper which was interesting to read and I did have my laptop where I could work on some CS 1331 homework. I found it very interesting that the Emory newspaper contained no comics of any sort. In the end, the bus finally arrived allowing me to make my journey back to Georgia Tech.

Needless to say, the ride back “home” was uneventful. I was happy to get back to my dorm after the long day.